Monday, June 13, 2011

The Coupon Craze

It's no secret that couponing has taken the world by storm lately. With TLC's show "Extreme Couponing", and a seemingly unlimited supply of blogs that talk about how to save money with coupons, I, personally, am a bit overwhelmed with the whole process.

Here's what I don't get: I understand "stockpiling" to a degree, but if you already have ten years worth of toilet paper, why do you keep buying more? I only buy small things two at a time (like ibuprofen) because I simply don't have room for a huge stockpile of random stuff.

Also, for those that go to multiple stores to get their free (or almost free) items, do they factor in the time/gas that it takes to go from store to store? Honestly, the only time that I can imagine doing this is in the evenings after The Hubs gets home, because my toddlers would not handle multiple trips to stores well during the day.

One place that I am mastering the couponing game is at Target. I love their allowed "stacking" of manufacturer's & store coupons. In fact, I went today & paid $19 & saved $23, plus I received a $5 gift card from a store promotion. All in all, I've saved $90 this month using coupons, and it's all useful stuff (bandaids, ibuprofen, ice cream, etc.), as opposed to some things that I have seen on TV.

I go back & forth about the time it takes to study the ads, clip the coupons, etc., but hopefully the good will outweigh the bad. I also realize that I'm about two good shopping trips away from becoming obsessed with this thing, buying shelves for my garage, and stocking cans of soup under my kids' beds. Well... maybe not quite that bad, but I can see how it can become really addictive. I'll keep ya posted on my progress. Until then, happy clipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment